Despite ongoing highway safety efforts, there are still a substantial number of car accidents in Washington every year. According to the Washington State Department of Transportation, there are over 1,000 car accidents in Kennewick alone each year. Many of these accidents result in much more than property damage; hundreds of people sustain injuries, some severe or even fatal.
It is important for people to know what steps to take if they are ever involved in an accident, what their rights are, and what kinds of options they have for recovery. For more information about your options after a car accident in Kennewick, call The Pickett Law Firm at 509-972-1825 and request a free consultation.
What are some common causes of car accidents in Kennewick?
Traffic congestion, dangerous roadways, and poor weather conditions all contribute to accidents, as do distracted driving, speeding, and alcohol.
One of the most dangerous roadways where many accidents occur is US-395. This four-lane divided highway, which meets up with I-82, often has heavy traffic, high speeds, and far too many distracted drivers. It is a perfect recipe for major accidents.
Drivers can prevent the majority of car accidents by simply paying attention, exercising caution, and sticking to the rules of the road. Unfortunately though, rarely a day goes by that a collision does not occur on a roadway somewhere in Washington.
We can attribute quite a few of the latest accidents in and around Kennewick to distracted or unsafe driving:
- A resident from Selah was traveling west on I-82 near Richland when he crashed into a semi-truck. The cause of the accident was driver inattention, according to the Washington State Patrol. (Source: Yakima Herald)
- Residents from Mabton and Grandview suffered injuries when their car rolled over after the driver made an unsafe lane change a few miles from Benton City. (Source: Yakima Herald)
- A 17-year-old Kennewick driver was travelling eastbound on Highway 240 when he hit a truck that had slowed for traffic, resulting in a three-car collision. The police said the cause of the accident was inattention and cited the young driver with negligent driving. (Source: Tri-City Herald)
What steps do I take after a car accident in Kennewick?
The immediate steps after an accident include removing yourself from harm’s way, calling 9-1-1, and tending to any immediate injuries. If others were involved in the accident, render aid if possible and await paramedics to arrive. If you are able, there are several other steps you should take, as well:
- Provide basic information to the police, and request a copy of the police report. This report should have the other drivers’ names and insurance information on it.
- Take photos of the accident scene, damage to the vehicles, and injuries.
- Write down the names and phone numbers of anyone who witnessed the accident.
- Get a medical evaluation even if you think your injuries are not severe. This will not only help you identify and treat any injuries; it will also protect you legally.
- Call an accident attorney at The Pickett Law Firm to discuss your case and how to best proceed with your claim. Do this quickly; if you overstep the statute of limitations, you will be unable to recover compensation. (Caution: Avoid giving a recorded statement to any insurance adjuster before talking to an attorney. You might unwittingly forgo your rights or say something to the adjuster that could reduce the value of or invalidate your claim.)
What types of compensation might I be entitled to?
You might be able recover both monetary and non-monetary damages related to a car accident. Much depends on the types of insurance coverages the involved parties have, who was at fault for the accident, and the severity of your injuries.
Some of the losses and expenses for which you may be able to win compensation include:
- Medical and rehabilitation expenses
- Transportation expenses related to medical care
- Loss of income, loss of working capability, loss of promotion, and loss of benefits
- The cost of hiring help for household tasks you normally take care of
- Long-term disability
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
- The effect of your injuries on your family, career, relationships, and future
- Lost quality of life
We work with vocational and medical experts to determine the true value of your accident.
Does The Pickett Law Firm accept car accident cases in Kennewick?
Yes. The Pickett Law Firm has successfully represented many car accident victims in Kennewick and the surrounding areas during the last 20 years. We are passionate about helping victims get the compensation they are entitled to so that their and their family’s needs are well-provided for.
Our team can assist with every aspect of a car accident case, from initial investigation and identifying liable parties, to negotiating with insurers or representing you in court.
We encourage you to read our Car Accident Guide for more helpful information, and to call our office to learn more about how we can be of assistance: 509-972-1825. We look forward to serving you.